Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A sleep tale

Last night was terrible. Jackson went to bed at 8 and then he was up at 9, 9:45, 12, 2, 3, 3:30 and 5! At 3:30 I decided to try and let him settle himself so he was crying. Keith shakes my arm and says "the baby's crying". It was really funny to me. Like maybe all of a sudden after 3 months of answering every little sound I couldn't hear him wailing through the monitor. I responded that I had just been in there and I was giving him a few minutes to settle down to which he said,
"maybe he's cold". Now I don't know about anyone else but I'm not that agreeable at 3:30am so I said, "you're welcome to go in there and check". Obviously my husband was awake since he was talking to me, why did he need to wake me (or think he was waking me) instead of going to investigate on his own?

Which reminds me of a conversation I was having with my friend Christine the other day. We both said that when we're home with husband and baby, or two babies in her case, that we'll say, "I'm going to go to the bathroom, kitchen, whatever watch the baby". But neither of our husbands do the same. They are free to leave the room at any time without making sure someone is watching the baby. Now in reality I'm sure neither of our husbands would let the babies play with fire or stop breathing if we didn't remind them but it just struck us both funny that as moms we feel that we need to constantly have the responsibility of caring for the baby while the husband doesn't.

I don't want to give anyone the wrong impression, Keith is very helpful with Jackson and I've never asked him to get up in the night because I'm breast feeding and there's not much he could do anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment